Premiato Pastificio Afeltra was established way back in 1848, when processing pasta was the mainstay of Gragnano's economy and a flourishing activity. Gragnano is in Campania, situated in the South of Italy, south of Vesuvius, south of Pompei.
With the arrival of the First World War, considerable changes were made, first with the ban on exporting pasta abroad, which ended extensive trade with the USA, the main customer of Gragnano's pasta factories. More severe difficulties came about for the pasta-making industry with economic sanctions. After the Second World War, the number of pasta factories fell considerably and after the Irpinia earthquake in 1980, the rebuilding of Premiato Pastificio Afeltra and other pasta factories which stayed in the Old Town, made it possible to build modern plants capable of competing with the big Italian manufacturers.
Premiato Pastificio Afeltra is the only pasta factory, of the many that once stood on the old pasta makers' road, to have survived the numerous difficulties which occurred over the centuries, and it currently operates in the original building used in 1848, a 3-story structure occupying over 4,000 square meters. A maximum of 5 metric tons of pasta are made here every day. It is thanks to the characteristics of its product that Pastificio Afeltra, like all the other pasta factories in Gragnano, upholds the tradition for quality of its pasta, skillfully choosing the best flours, made exclusively from durum wheat, with the use of pure water from the Lattari Mountains and slow drying, which makes it possible to preserve the flavor of the wheat and the dietary qualities of the gluten.
For Gragnanese people, making pasta is an authentic passion, which still fills their hearts, like a unique and true art, the Art of Pasta. Gragnano's speciality is long pasta and the hardest to imitate.
Today Afeltra pasta is a product for connoisseurs, so much so that it has been included in the Slow Food circuit. State-of-the-art machinery has replaced obsolete production systems, continuing to respect the times and methods that characterize the old Gragnanese tradition. The pasta factory, a large and imposing building with majestic doors sculpted from Vesuvian stone, is in the heart of Gragnano.